Private rented housing

Excessive rent increases advice

You should agree how and when your rent will be reviewed with your landlord as part of a tenancy agreement.

If the tenancy agreement runs for a set period of six months or more (fixed-term), the agreement should say rent will either be:

  • fixed for the length of the term
  • reviewed at regular intervals – and include information on how and when it will be reviewed

If the tenancy is a periodic tenancy (rolling on a month-by-month basis) you and your landlord can agree a rent increase at any time and should confirm the increase in writing. Your tenancy agreement will usually include a clause that allows a yearly increase in rent. Landlords cannot normally increase rent more than once a year without the tenant’s agreement.

Landlords can only increase the rent of during a fixed-term tenancy if you (the tenant) agrees. If you do not agree, your landlord can only increase the rent at the end of the fixed-term.

If your tenancy is a regulated tenancy, your landlord must consider any fair rent conditions.

For any tenancy, landlords must get their tenant’s permission to increase the rent by more than had been previously agreed.

Your landlord will provide a form called a landlord’s notice proposing a new rent to tell you about the proposed rent increases at least one month before the proposed increase in rent. If you agree, the new rent begins from the date in the notice.

If you do not agree, you can challenge a rent increase or excessive rent at the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) - find out more on Shelter's website.