Skip to content

Council tax bands and appeals

Most homes are required to pay council tax. We issue one council tax bill to each home in the district - whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.

The amount of council tax you pay is affected by the valuation band your home is in. Find out more below:

Back To Top

How are council tax bands worked out?

Each home has been placed into one of eight bands by the Government's Valuation Office Agency. Your property's band is based on its historic market capital value at 1 April 1991:

Band A (Up to and including £40,000)
Band B (£40,001 to £52,000)
Band C (£52,001 to £68,000)
Band D (£68,001 to £88,000)
Band E (£88,001 to £120,000)
Band F (£120,001 to £160,000)
Band G (£160,001 to £320,000)
Band H (More than £320,000)

Find out more about the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

Back To Top

What band is my home in?

Visit our online council tax portal to find out what council tax band you are in.

Alternatively, search your council tax banding using an online service on the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) website.

You can check your band by either entering your postcode or your billing authority (in this case Lichfield). When you enter your billing authority you will be prompted to provide more information - the first line of your home address is the quickest way to identify your property. Alternatively, when you enter your full postcode the name or number of your house will quickly identify your property.

The results page will display a billing authority reference number, your full postal address and the band within which your property falls. The page also confirms whether it is a composite address (ie) where only a part is used for domestic purposes within a single occupation.

Back To Top

How much will I pay based on my band?

Find out how much council tax you will pay this year based on your council tax band using our handy table - how much council tax will I pay?

Back To Top

Can I appeal against my council tax banding?

Yes, you can appeal against your banding, but please be aware that there are only a few occasions when taxpayers have successfully challenged their banding. These include:

  • After demolition
  • Conversions of houses to flats
  • Physical changes in the locality affecting value and within six months of band change to your property made by the Listing Officer
  • A band change to a similar property to yours made by the court
  • Becoming a new taxpayer

Full details of how to appeal are contained in the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and Council Tax (Alteration of Lists and Appeals) Regulations 1993.

If you challenge your banding, please make sure you continue to pay your current council tax bill until any appeal is settled.

Back To Top

How to appeal your banding

If you want to challenge your banding, you need to speak to the Valuation Office Agency on 01782 298400 or write to the Listing Officer, Valuation Office Agency, Blackburn House, Old Hall Street, Hanley, Stoke on Trent ST1 3BS. Find out more about the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

Back To Top

What if my home is new?

If the Valuation Office Agency has not yet banded your home because it is new, we will use a provisional band estimated on the purchase price.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.