Help with your council tax bill
Local council tax support helps people on a low income pay for their council tax bill - used to be known as council tax benefit. Read our council tax reduction scheme.
You do not have to be unemployed, or unable to work, to claim council tax support.
You will not qualify for council tax support if:
- You are of working age and you having savings over £6,000, unless you receive income-related Employment Support Allowance, income-based Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support.
- You are of pensionable age and you have savings over £16,000, unless you receive Pension Credit Guarantee.
- You are living with/paying board to a close relative (although second adult rebate may be claimed by the homeowner if they are of pensionable age).
- You are from outside the UK and do not have access to public funds.
If you are entitled to support, you won't receive a payment - instead, we'll take the amount you are entitled to off your council tax bill. If your bill is not entirely discounted, you will still have to pay the remaining balance over the course of the year. We'll set out how much you need to pay in your council tax bill.
The council is considering making changes to its local council tax support scheme, which if approved will come into force on 1 April 2023. The aim of the proposed changes is to make the scheme:
• Better for claimants - Provide more financial support to residents on the lowest incomes, distribute the support given more fairly to claimants based on their incomes and circumstances, create less paperwork and confusion, provide more financial stability, and deliver greater customer satisfaction. Reduce debt recovery activity carried out with the most financially vulnerable residents.
• Better for council taxpayers - Allow the council to streamline administration and reduce unnecessary paperwork and costs.
Please note: Our benefits system is not available between 2am & 2.15am (Monday - Thursdays) and 2am & 4am (early Saturday mornings) to allow for maintenance to take place. Please do not use our benefits system between these times, as you may lose your data. Thank you.