Skip to content


There may be permissions and licenses required for the event. There are often timetables in place for applying for these so they should be given consideration early on in the planning process to ensure they can be successfully gained in time for the event.

Permissons could include but are not limited to:

Back To Top

Permission from the landowner

To hire a park in Lichfield District, including Beacon Park or Stowe Pool/Fields, you will need to contact Lichfield District Council - find out more.

Streets or city/town centre locations require the permission of the Staffordshire County Council. For Lichfield's Market Square and Minster Pool Walk, contact Lichfield City Council. Recreational land in Burntwood requires the permission of Burntwood Town Council. For The Close around Lichfield Cathedral, contact Lichfield Cathedral.

Landowners will likely have their own set of conditions or requirements that you will need to meet. This permission should be sought in writing from the landowner.

Back To Top

Licensing Act 2003

To sell or supply alcohol or provide regulated entertainment, such as music or dancing in an area that doesn’t already have a premises licence, will require a new premises licence or a temporary event notice (TEN). Applications must be made a minimum of 28 days for a premises licence or 10 days for a TEN – plus allow time to appeal possible objections to a licence. Find out how to apply for a licence.

Back To Top

Street trading consent

If you want to have market stalls or mobile caterers on the streets, you will need to apply for street trading consent.

All streets in the district are consented (apart from the A38), so street trading applies. This is also the case for publicly used/privately owned streets.

If you want to trade on privately owned streets, such as Lichfield Cathedral Close, Minster Pool Walk and Bakers Lane in Three Spires Shopping Centre, you will first need to get the landowner's consent. In addition, you/your traders will then need to apply for street trading consent. 

If you are a single trader, not operating as part of a special event, the minimum notice we need is five working days before the event.

If you are trading as part of a larger (special) event, different deadlines will apply.

Find out more.

Back To Top

Road closures

It may be necessary to close one or more streets temporarily for part or all of the day of the event. This is known as a temporary closure of streets order. Applications should be made to Lichfield District Council at least six weeks ahead of event. Find out more.

Rolling street closures (overnight or multiple days) should be made to Staffordshire County Council as the highways authority. Sometimes before a road closure can be granted the event organiser must submit a traffic management plan, which demonstrates how any additional interference with normal traffic movements will be minimised. Download more information from the county council.

Back To Top


It is illegal to fly-post on private property, structures, paving and street furniture.

If you would like to advertise your event through posters/banners, depending on where you want to put them up and their size, you may need planning permission and landowner consent. It can take up to two months to gain planning permission, and you may need to pay a fee. Download an application form for consent to display an advertisement.

If you display banners/posters without planning permission and landowner's consent, you may be in breach of the law, and your banners/posters may be removed without notice.

Services A - ZSee all services
Get in touch or visit...

Our location and travel details >>

Phone our contact centre: 01543 308 000
District Council House, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs, WS13 6YY

If you need to contact a team direct, please visit our contacts page for team phone numbers and email addresses.

Opening times

Our main reception at Frog Lane in Lichfield is open Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.15pm. Our phone lines close at 5pm.