Event permissions and licences

Street trading and special event subsidy

If you are planning to hold an event that includes trading on streets (does not apply in parks) such as market stalls or mobile caterers, you will need to ensure your traders apply for street trading licences.

If you are organising an event for the public on public land, the city/district streets or in a district council owned park, you need to make sure you have the right plans in place to ensure the health, safety and welfare of anyone working at or attending the event.

You will need to apply for permission, if your event:

  • will be open to the public and is likely to attract more than 500 people at any one time during the advertised opening hours
  • will involve one or more consented activity (street trading, alcohol or entertainment) or may require a formal road closure.

You must first submit an expression of interest form, which will be considered, before we can let you know whether or not your event can be accommodated.

Please do not not make any firm arrangements or take bookings until you hear back from our team. 

We recommend that you submit your event organisers expression of interest form at least six months before your planned event, however if your event is large-scale we would advise you to submit it sooner.

As part of the asessment we will consider whether your event can be granted special event status and benefit from subsidised street trading licence fees - find out more.