Event permissions and licences

If you are planning on running an event locally, there is lots to consider - from street trading permissions and event licences, through to street closure permissions.

We also recommend you create an:

  • Event management plan which will help you make sure you have considered all the necessary issues.
  • Risk assessment to identify the hazards and risks associated with your event and to plan for them

If you are organising an event for the public on public land, the city/district streets or in a district council owned park, you need to make sure you have the right plans in place to ensure the health, safety and welfare of anyone working at or attending the event.

You will need to apply for permission, if your event:

  • will be open to the public and is likely to attract more than 500 people at any one time during the advertised opening hours
  • will involve one or more consented activity (street trading, alcohol or entertainment) or may require a formal road closure.

You must first submit an expression of interest form and your event may be eligible for a subsidy on street trading fees - find out more.