Discretionary housing payments

What can payments cover?

We view housing costs as the amount you are charged for rent, including any services, which are usually detailed in a tenancy agreement, as costs that are eligible. 

Housing benefit/discretionary payments cannot be paid for certain services, which are considered 'ineligible'. These include services such as fuel, hot water, meals, water, sewerage, or increases in rent to cover arrears.

Discretionary housing payments cannot be awarded to help with payments of council tax. 

Download our discretionary housing payment policy