Accumulation of waste report form

Although private homes with furniture outside, overgrown gardens, or general detritus can be unsightly, we only have powers to require it to be cleaned up if it is causing a nuisance or is a threat to public health and safety.

Examples of this could include:

  • the waste is encroaching onto the public highway
  • the waste is attracting pests or vermin
  • the state of the house/property is causing health and safety issues for adjoining homes (damp or smells)
  • the state of the garden is causing health and safety issues for adjoining homes

We do not operate a 24 hour response to accumulation of waste complaints.

We recommend you contact the owner/occupier before making a complaint

Before submitting a complaint, we suggest you first contact the owner/occupier first, provided you are comfortable to do so – why not download our letter template? Contacting the owner/occupier may resolve the problem more quickly and often leads to a better long term solution.

What to expect when you submit a complaint

Our first step will be to contact you and the owner/occupier to arrange a time to visit to assess the situation. Where a nuisance or a health risk exists, we will tell the owner/occupier to clear it. If they do not, we can serve a legal notice requiring the owner/occupier to remove the rubbish within a certain period of time. If they still do not comply, we can make arrangements for the rubbish to be removed and recover the costs from the owner/occupier. In some circumstances we may also consider prosecution. 

Dumped rubbish/fly tipping on public land

If you want to report dumped rubbish/fly tipping on public land or the highway, please fill in our fly tipping report form.

Dirty streets

If you want to report street scene issues, such as dirty streets, please fill in our street cleansing report form.

Please use this form to report an accumulation of waste issue. As part of this form, we will ask you for your email address. This is so we can keep you up to date on what we will do to resolve/address your issue.