Traveller & gypsy sites

Private land

If the encampment is on private land, it is usually the landowner's responsibility to evict them. We can advise landowners of the process to do this.

Evicting or allowing camps

The landowner should talk to them to see if a leaving date can be agreed. However, if the landowner decides to temporarily or permanently let the gypsies/travellers stay on their land then they could be in breach of planning or caravan licensing laws if they do not already have permission and a relevant site licence. 

If the landowner wants to evict the gypsies/travellers then they should take proceedings in the county court under the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 to obtain a court order for their eviction. There must be a minimum of two clear days between service of documents and the court hearing. 

If the landowner is in breach of any planning or licence requirements and does not take action to evict the gypsies/travellers, then we may take proceedings against the landowner to require removal of the illegal encampment.