Pay your council tax

You can pay your council tax in a number of ways. If you need help paying your council tax or rent, visit our benefits section.

By direct debit

The easiest way to pay your council tax is by direct debit - payments are taken on a ten monthly basis (April - January), with no payments in February and March.

You can choose to have your payments taken out of your bank account on either on the 1st or the 18th of each month. 

To set up a direct debit, visit our council tax portal. Read our privacy notice. Make sure you have your banking details and your council tax reference number to hand.

Alternatively, call our customer services team on 01543 308900, Monday - Friday, 9am - 5.15pm.

By debit or credit card

You can make a council tax payment through our e-payments system. Make sure you have your council tax reference number and credit/debit card to hand.

Alternatively you can call us on 01543 308900 to pay over the phone, Monday - Friday, 9am - 5.15pm. Or, you can call our automated telephone payments line on 0345 234 0068 which is available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.

By cheque

Make your cheque payable to Lichfield District Council and write your council tax reference number on the reverse. Send your cheque to:

Council tax payments team, Lichfield District Council, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs WS13 6YX.

At the post office

If you have a council tax payment card, you can use this at any post office. There is no charge for this service.

Pay by 12 monthly instalments

You can apply for your instalments to be paid over 12 months. To do this, You must apply in writing to our revenues team no later than 10 March, so your instalments can start in April. Write to:

Revenues team, Lichfield District Council, Frog Lane, Lichfield, Staffs WS13 6YX.

If you contact us after 10 March, the number of instalments you may be offered will be reduced. You should not withhold payments while your application is being processed. You must continue to pay your instalments on your previous bill until you are advised of your revised payments.