Advice for landlords

Useful links

We've gathered some handy links for landlords below:

Landlord ZONE

Comprehensive information, access to resources and useful contacts. Includes an open forum for posting questions and seeking advice from other people involved in the private rented sector, including landlords, solicitors etc. More information on Landlord ZONE 

Landlord Advice UK

Advice and reasonably priced downloadable documents such as tenancy agreements, Section 8 & Section 21 notices etc. More information on Landlord Advice UK 

Accreditation Network UK

A network website for anyone involved in starting or running landlord accreditation schemes. Model scheme, development manual, training, access to consultants involved in established schemes. More information on Accreditation Network UK 

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Includes a 'find a surveyor' service. More information on The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors 


Information for landlords and tenants including types of tenancy, rent deposit schemes, health and safety standards, accreditation etc. More information on GOV.UK 

On the site, you will also find guidance and advice about the minimum standards required to let domestic property under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018. Read the guide .

Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme

All deposits taken from tenants must be registered with a deposit protection scheme. These links take you to each of the three registered schemes.

Landlord Law

Detailed legal advice available on tenancies, evictions, disrepair etc. This is a subscription site. More information on Landlord Law 

Find a registered electrician

Regulations that came into force in 2020 require landlords to have electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at an interval of at least every 5 years. Landlords have to provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants, and to their local authority if requested. Find out more .

If you need electrical installation work done in your home, we recommend that you use an electrician registered with one of the government-approved schemes. Find a registered electrician .

Homes (Fitness for habitation) Act 2018 

As part of the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 , the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 is amended to require all landlords (private and social) to ensure that their properties, including any common parts of the building, are fit for human habitation at the beginning of the tenancy and throughout. There are no new obligations for landlords under this Act - the legislation requires landlords to ensure that they are meeting their existing responsibilities with regards to property standards and safety. The government has produced a guide for more information