Do I need a licence?

Animal related businesses

If your business involves animals it's likely you will need to a licence.

Businesses that need a licence include pet shops, animal boarding establishments  (commercial boarding kennels, catteries, home dog boarding, dog day care), dog breeding establishments, riding establishments, keepers and trainers of performing animals (certificate of registration current requirement) and zoos.

If you are an individual breeding dogs, you will need a licence if you register as a business, or if you breed five or more litters of puppies in a year, and sell any of the puppies. Find out more on

You will also need a licence if you want to keep dangerous wild animals.

Find out about animal related licences.