Do I need a licence?

Selling alcohol, providing entertainment or late night hot food/drink

You will need to apply for a premises licence if you want to sell alcohol (on or off licence), provide regulated entertainment such as films or plays, or late night refreshment (i.e, sell hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am).

If you are a social, sporting or political members' club (like a working men’s club, rugby club, or British Legion) you may need  a club premises certificate instead.

All businesses and organisations selling or supplying alcohol, except for members' clubs and certain community premises will also need to have a designated premises supervisor (DPS) named on their licence.

A DPS is the person who has day-to-day responsibility for the running of the business and is responsible for authorising the alcohol sales - a designated premises supervisor must hold a personal licence.

Read our licensing policy to find out more.