How we use your information
We will use the information you provide in a manner that conforms to the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 or the Data Protection Act 2018. We will endeavour to keep your information accurate and up to date and not keep it in a form that identifies you for longer than is necessary. In some instances the law sets the length of time information has to be kept.
We will process your information for the following purposes:
- for the service you requested, and to monitor and improve the council’s performance in responding to your request
- to allow us to be able to communicate and provide services and benefits appropriate to your needs
- to ensure that we meet our legal obligations
- where necessary for the law enforcement functions
- to prevent and detect fraud or crime
- to process financial transactions including grants, payments and benefits involving the council, or where we are acting on behalf of other government bodies, e.g. Department for Work and Pensions
- to collect monies owed to us
- where necessary to protect individuals from harm or injury
- to allow the statistical analysis of data so we can plan the provision of services
We will not pass any personal data on to third parties, other than those who either process information on our behalf, or because of a legal requirement, and we will only do so, where possible, after we have ensured that sufficient steps have been taken to protect the personal data by the recipient.
We will not disclose any information that you provide in confidence to us, to anyone else without your permission, except in the few situations where disclosure is required by law, or where we have good reason to believe that failing to share the information would put someone else at risk. You will be told about this. Where the council passes your personal data on to an outside body with a request that they deal with it in a certain way, they may be a data processor. If they are, then the council will take steps to ensure they meet their legal obligations including keeping your personal data safe.
We may transfer and process your information overseas using web services that are hosted outside the European Economic Area, but only with data processing agreements that meet our and the processor’s obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation.