Write an event management plan
Section 13 - Water, electricity and gas
In this section include details about your water supply and gas and electricity arrangements.
If water is needed for food/drinking outlets, provide details of where this clean supply of drinking water will be coming from e.g. mains supply, private water supply, bowsers. You will also need to consider how it will be distributed across the site.
Also detail how waste water will be disposed of.
Electrical and gas safety
Mobile food caterers will likely be using LPG cylinders for cooking and have electrical equipment that may require generators to power or access to mains power. These are all things that you will need to take into consideration when carrying out your risk assessment.
Provide a summary of the arrangements that you will have to ensure that all electrical and gas equipment used as part of the event is safe. Some things to consider are:
- Request evidence of Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) for electrical appliances.
- Request evidence that their equipment has undergone an annual gas safety or electrical inspection.
- Consider where generators will be sited during the event e.g. in well-ventilated outdoor locations that are out of public areas and traffic routes, and not near tents or marquees where they could overheat. Have arrangements in place for the safe storage and refuelling of generators (stored in a secure area away from ignition sources).
- Use of weather resistance electrical equipment
- Minimise or remove trailing cable to prevent slip and trip hazards
If lighting equipment etc. is to be installed, ensure this work is done by a competent electrician who can certify the works.
Any gas installation or servicing works should be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer.